Sunday, December 12, 2010

The Zoo We Knew

   Our latest field trip to the zoo was filled with many exciting discoveries. The guide was very knowledgeable and well spoken, in spite of being only six years old. His attire bespoke a seasoned safari hunter and his manner was calm under the greatest pressure.

   As we neared the big cat exhibit and lunch drew nigh, out fearless guide seemed to lose that edge that proclaimed - "leader." Into this vacuum of leadership, I was able to provide a wonderful pearl of wisdom - that I can only hope will haunt educators for years to come. Maybe, given the chance to dream, information that can be passed to future generations and annoy teachers that I could never have the prospect of meeting personally. One can only hope.

   A question arose from one of the overseers regarding where cheetahs are originally from. Sensing the general lull in the crowd, I tentatively waved my hand and was called upon after two or three glances around the throng, I could not hold the delay against her, as she was a dullard, relinquishing authority completely to a six year old. No matter how well dressed, short people have an attention span limit. Anyway, back to the cheetahs: I cleared my throat for full effect and proclaimed -

"Cheetahs are originally from New York -"

   There seemed to be a murmur of disagreement from the mob. I had to speak louder to rise above the din.

"Its true!" I said, "They're wall street bankers who got caught lion."

   Which, of course, was the next exhibit and there was much discourse on how, when and where they were caught lion. It was a tremendous afternoon that will live on in the minds of many - if I have anything to do with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment